WHEN vs WHENEVER
Have you ever wondered when to use WHEN or WHENEVER? If so , you are in the right place.
When to use WHEN.
1 – We use WHEN If we are talking about a single occurrence or when we know its time or date.
- She was only 18 when she got pregnant.
- I was watching TV when my mobile phone rang.
- We will begin the meeting when I get there at eight.
When to use WHENEVER.
2 – We use WHENEVER for repeated events or events the date or time of which we are uncertain. We use WHENEVER , If we can replace WHENEVER with every time that or at whatever time that in the sentence.
- Whenever I call him , he seems to be busy.
- We can start whenever you are ready.
- I was referring to last Monday or whenever it was you came back from your holidays.
Note: We can often replace whenever with when but generally the reverse in not the case. The exception being when we use whenever as an more emphatic form of when in questions:
- Whenever will that dog stop barking?
- Whenever did you find time to learn all that ?
- Whenever has he done anything around here?
- Do you know when/whenever we are supposed to start the meeting today?
- Let me know when/whenever you’ll be arriving at the airport next week so I can pick you up.
- When/Whenever I drink coffee, I get a terrible headache.
- I used to play football when/whenever I was a kid.